What is the British Council IELTS Award 2015 in Greece?
The British Council has developed the IELTS Award 2015 programme to help one IELTS candidate in Greece access international education. A student planning to attend an undergraduate or postgraduate programme abroad will receive a scholarship worth GBP 10,000 in order to assist with his/her tuition fees. Payments will be issued to the attending higher educational institution.
Who is eligible to apply for the IELTS Award 2015?
You are eligible if you meet the essential eligibility criteria:
- Be aged at least 18 years when submitting the application form
- Have taken the IELTS test and obtained an official score (Test Report Form - TRF) from a British Council centre in Greece between 1 November 2014 and 31 May 2015 (you can find next test dates in Greece and register online here)
- Provide a valid IELTS Score with a minimum overall band score of 6.5 and a minimum of 6.5 in each of the four component of the test
- Plan to start a full-time programme abroad at an undergraduate or postgraduate level next academic year (September 2015)
- Plan to attend a higher educational institution that accepts IELTS as part of its admission requirements (check the official Recognition List)
- Be able to provide an acceptance letter from the attending institution by 30 June 2015
Shortlisted applicants will be required to provide evidence to support their application such as a copy of their ID and a copy of their IELTS TRF.
What is the final date to apply to the IELTS Award 2015 in Greece?
The online form will be opened to receive applications until 31 May 2015 at midnight. Please note that it takes several minutes to complete the application and we strongly advise you to apply before the last day.
How many scholars will be selected?
There will be one scholar from Greece who will receive a scholarship worth GBP 10,000 to assist with his/her tuition fees.
What is the application process?
- Take an IELTS test with the British Council in Greece between November 2014 and April 2015 (in order to receive your scores before the 31 May 2015)
- Complete the online application and submit before 31 May 2015, midnight
- We will notify all applicants by email on or before 15 June 2015 whether or not you have been shortlisted
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a British Council centre in Greece to give a presentation on a given subject and will be interviewed by a British Council panel
- Shortlisted applicants only will be required to provide all evidence to support their application (ex: copy of IELTS Test Report Form) and a letter of acceptance from the higher institution they plan to attend, before 30 June 2015 at the latest. Failure to provide required evidence by the deadline will result in your removal from the shortlist of applicants.
- We will notify all shortlisted applicants of the final results by e-mail on or before the 31 July 2015
I have a disability. Can I still apply?
Yes. In line with the UK Disability Discrimination Act 1995, we define a person as having a disability if he or she has a physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
What is the selection process?
Candidates will be carried out by a panel of British Council educational experts. The panel will select the top five candidates based on their applications. The personal statement will be used for shortlisting purposes. The panel will then decide the top scholar from the shortlisted candidates, based on his/her presentation and face to face interview.
How will the award be awarded and when?
The award will be paid directly to the Higher Educational Institution you will attend, after the British Council has officially confirmed your status with that university.
What expenses will the award cover?
The award can only be applied to cover tuition fees.
At which universities can the award be used?
Students may use the award at any Higher Educational Institution in any country outside of Greece that recognises IELTS for the purposes of Undergraduate or Postgraduate admission requirements. You can search a worldwide list of recognising institutions. However, global IELTS recognition is growing all the time and if the Higher Educational institution you plan to attend is not listed, we strongly recommend you contact the institution directly for confirmation of their latest requirements.
Can I send an application if I have registered for an IELTS and have not taken it, or if I’m currently waiting for my IELTS test results?
No, you can only apply with your IELTS score and if your score meets the minimum eligibility requirement of overall band 6.5, with a minimum of 6.5 in each of the four IELTS components (listening, reading, writing and speaking).
Can I apply if I am waiting for an acceptance letter from my university?
Yes. Only shortlisted applicants will have to provide an acceptance letter from the university they will attend by 30 June 2015. This university must use IELTS scores to satisfy their English Language requirements for admission.
I took an IELTS in 2013. Is my score still valid?
Yes, IELTS scores are valid for two years. However, you can’t apply for the IELTS Award 2015 in Greece as one of the eligibility criteria is to provide an IELTS Test Results Forms (TRF) from a test taken between November 2014 and April 2015.
I took the test at my university, not in a British Council centre. Can I still apply?
Yes, if the test was administered by the British Council in your school or university, you received your scores on a Test Report Form (TRF) issued and stamped by an official British Council centre in Greece.
Am I eligible for an IELTS Award even though I already have part-funding through a scholarship or loan scheme?
Yes, you are eligible. You will have to give details of other funding sources in your application.
However, if you are applying to get other source of funding (e.g. scholarships), you may check if they allow you to receive an award.
I already have a full tuition scholarship. Am I eligible to apply?
No, you are not eligible. If you are awarded a full tuition scholarship for 2015 after you apply for the British Council IELTS Award, please inform us and we will no longer consider your application.