The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and builds trust between them worldwide.
To deliver the best in cultural relations we focus on programmes in three core areas:
- Education and Society
- The Arts
Our business operations and activities have an impact on the environment. We are deeply concerned about the impact of climate change, and the over-consumption of natural resources, on prosperity, social justice and quality of life. In line with our corporate values and those of our partners, we commit to minimising our environmental impact while inspiring and supporting positive change in the way people view and interact with the natural world.
We commit to minimising our environmental impact by
• reviewing, understanding, and controlling the range of environmental impacts arising from its activities
• ensuring that it complies with UK and international environmental legislation
• improving the environmental performance of its properties, reducing energy, water and waste
• communicating its progress in reducing its environmental impact to internal and external stakeholders
• taking account of environmental and sustainability factors in its procurement
• monitoring and improving the environmental impact of its business travel and exploring new ways of delivering its work sustainably.
We will provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this policy and will ensure it is communicated and understood. The British Council will review this global policy statement annually to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and promote good practice.